How To Apply For Passport Renewal

See what is required to renew your US passport. You can renew your passport through the mail using Form DS-82. Your most recent passport must meet all 5 requirements below in order to renew by mail:

  • Is submitted with your application
  • Is undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Was issued within the last 15 years
  • Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must then apply for a passport in person using Form DS-11. Please note, if you live in Canada, you may be eligible to renew your passport by mail and avoid a trip to a US embassy or consulate. If you live in any other country, you will be required to renew your passport at a US embassy or consulate.

Most Recent US Passport

If you meet all 5 requirements listed above, then you will need to download Form DS-82 and fill it out. Along with the form, you must also submit your most recent passport. Please note, your old passport book and/or card will be returned to you, but generally it will come in a separate mailing from your new passport.

Include Name Change Documents

If your name is different than what was on your most recent passport, then you will need to provide a certified copy of the legal name change document. Some examples include:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Court-ordered name change document
  • Divorce decree

Your name change document will be returned to you in a separate mailing from your new passport. If you are renewing your passport from Canada and your Canadian divorce decree does not specify a spouse is returning to their maiden name, you must provide proof of your birth or maiden name (such as an original or certified copy of your birth certificate).

Providing a passport photo

Attach one photograph to the application. To avoid processing delays, be sure your photo meets all the passport photo requirements. They require you staple the photo to the application. Please use 4 staples vertically in the corners as close to the outer edges as possible and don't bend the photo.

Passport renewal fees

Please include the fees along with the form and photo. Use either a personal check or money order. Below is a list of the passport service fees for renewing.

Product Form Application Fee
Passport Book DS-82 $110
Passport Card DS-82 $30
Passport Book & Card DS-82 $140

If you are using a check or money order, please make it payable to the "US Department of State." Print the full name and date of birth of the applicant on the front of the check or money order. They do not accept cash. They are not responsible for any cash you send through the mail.

Renewing from Canada?

Personal checks or money orders must draw on US financial institutions based in the United States and be payable in US dollars. Acceptable US checks and money orders must have a 9-digit routing number.

Please do not include 1-2 day or express delivery fees with your payment. These services are not available to US residents in Canada. For information on forms of payment and a full list of fees and service, please see fees to get a passport.

Submitting your passport renewal application

If you are inside the United State, then you will need to mail your completed application, including your most recent passport, name change document (if applicable), photo, and fees, to one of the addresses below. If you live in the United States, you must use the United States Postal Service (USPS) to mail your renewal application and supporting documents. If you live in Canada, you should use Canada Post.

Please do not use other delivery services such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL. Only USPS or Canada Post can deliver to the PO Box addresses listed on Form DS-82. If you use UPS, FedEx, DHL, or another company to send your application, it will be returned to you.

Routine Service (If you live in CA, FL, IL, MN, NY, or TX):
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 640155
Irving, TX 75064-0155

Routine Service (If you live in any other state or Canada):
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155

Expedited Service (Additional fee applies. For any state or Canada):
Write "EXPEDITE" on the outside of the mailing envelope.

National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90955
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955

When mailing your passport application from the United States, please use:

  • An envelope large enough to fit the application without folding
  • Mailing by the United States Postal Service (USPS)
  • A trackable delivery method. The method used must be able to deliver to a PO Box address

When mailing your passport application from Canada, please use Canada Post. They will then will return the completed passport and supporting documents to you via First Class Mail. One-to-two day or express delivery is not available if you live in Canada.

You may be eligible to apply in person at a passport agency or center if you need a passport quickly. If you need to get a passport right away, please see about getting a passport in a hurry.

If outside the United States, any country besides Canada, please contact your US Embassy and Consulate for how to submit your documents, since processes vary.