Photo IDs For A Passport Application

When applying for a passport in person using Form DS-11, you are required to present a government-issued photo ID if you are:

  • Over age 18
  • The parent or guardian identifying an applicant under age 18

You must present one primary ID which includes your photo. If you cannot present one of the primary photo IDs below, please present a combination of at least two secondary IDs.

When applying, make sure to bring the ID and a photocopy of the ID. For a photocopy, make a copy for each ID you provide, front and back, you present when you apply.

  • Photocopy must be on white, 8.5"x 11" standard paper, black and white, and single sided
  • Do not decrease the image size (although you may enlarge it)
  • Primary Photo IDs (submit one)
  • Valid or expired, undamaged US passport book or passport card
  • In-state, fully valid driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
  • In-state, fully valid learner's permit with photo
  • In-state, fully valid non-driver ID with photo
  • Temporary driver's license with photo
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
  • US military or military dependent ID
  • Current (valid) foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID). Commonly used by a parent of a US citizen child applicant
  • US Permanent Resident Card (Green Card). Commonly used by a parent of a US citizen child applicant
  • Trusted Traveler IDs (including valid Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, and NEXUS cards)
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards and Native American tribal photo IDs
  • Secondary IDs (submit at least two from the list below)
  • Out-of-state driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
  • Learner's or temporary driver's permit (without a photo)
  • In-state, fully valid non-driver ID (without a photo)
  • Out-of-state, non-driver ID
  • Temporary driver's license (without a photo)
  • Social Security card
  • Voter registration card
  • Employee work ID
  • Student ID
  • School yearbook with identifiable photograph
  • Selective Service (draft) card
  • Medicare or other health card
  • Expired driver's license
  • Form DS-71, for an Identifying Witness (only available at your local acceptance facility or a passport agency)

Applying out of state

If you apply out of state, please present an additional ID. It should show as much of the following information as possible: your photo, full name, date of birth, and the document issuance date.