How To Apply Passport For Child Over 16

View the passport requirements for teenagers. Most applications ages 16-17 must apply in person using Form DS-11. If the applicant is eligible to renew their passport, they can download Form DS-82. Please note, passports for teenagers, 16 and older, are valid for 10 years.

Applying for passport

The first step is to download Form DS-11 to fill out. Next, you will need to provide evidence that proves your US citizenship. You must submit one of the following. Your evidence must be an original or certified copy. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.

  • Fully-valid, undamaged US passport (may be expired)
  • US birth certificate that was issued by the city, county, or state of birth, lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth and lists your parent(s) full names. It also must have the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth), have the registrar's signature and have the seal of the issuing authority
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship

Please review the citizenship evidence page if you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents.

Photocopy of US Citizenship Evidence

You will also need to submit a photocopy of the front (and back, if there is printed information) of the US citizenship evidence you're submitting. Photocopies must be:

  • Legible
  • On white 8.5"x11" standard paper
  • Black and white
  • Single-sided

If you don't want to submit a photocopy of your citizenship evidence, you may submit a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, which they will keep. You risk delay of your passport application if you do not submit a photocopy or a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence.

Show Parental Awareness

If you already have a current ID, you can apply for a passport. You are required to show that at least one parent or guardian is aware that you are applying for a passport. If one of them provides a written letter that objects to this, then your passport application will be denied. Below are ways you can show parental awareness:

  • A parent or legal guardian appearing with you in person when you apply for your passport. The agent or employee accepting the application will ask your parent or legal guardian to sign Form DS-11
  • A signed, notarized statement consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one parent or legal guardian (should be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent or guardian's ID)

Present Identitification

You, or your parent or guardian, are required to provide one of the following IDs to the acceptance agent:

  • In-state, fully-valid driver's license
  • Fully-valid, undamaged US passport (may be expired)
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship (if the photo is still looks like you)
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
  • US military ID or military dependent ID
  • Valid foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular Identification, commonly used by the parent of a US citizen child applicant)

If you cannot present one of the IDs above, or for more information, please see the passport photo Identification page. Please note, if you present out-of-state identification, you must present an additional ID.

Bring a Photocopy of ID

Submit a photocopy of the front and back of each ID that you present when you apply. The requirements are listed below:

  • Photocopy must be on white, 8.5 x 11" standard paper
  • Photocopy cannot be double-sided
  • Do not decrease the image size (although you may enlarge it)

Provide a photo for passport

You are required to provide a photo to go with your application. We suggest you review the passport photo requirements page to avoid any processing delays of your application. Please note, some passport acceptance facilities provide photo services for an additional fee.

Passport service fees

Below is a list of passport services fees to apply for passports for children over the age of 16. To see the full list, view the fees to get a passport. Please note, the application fee and the execution fee are paid separately.

Product Form Application Fee Execution (Acceptance) Fee
Passport Book DS-11 $110 $35
Passport Card DS-11 $30 $35
Passport Book & Card DS-11 $140 $35

Submit passport application

For applicants inside the US:

  • You must submit your completed application, including citizenship evidence, photocopy of ID, photo, and fees, in person at a passport acceptance facility
  • You may be eligible to apply in person at a passport agency if you are traveling soon

For applicants outside the US please contact your US Embassy and Consulate for how to submit your documents, since processes vary.

For any Special Circumstances

If any of the below categories apply to you, you may have additional requirements for your US passport application. Please click a link below that is relevant to you.